Flash player installer keeps telling me to close Firefox so it can install, and this persists after I do close Firefox
Flash player keeps crashing on NY Times. I went to Firefox help with plugins, and got the message to update my player from ver 9.x. I clicked update. The download process went fine, and the installer started. it stopped with the message that I needed to close Firefox. I did and clicked Retry. It persisted with the message that I had to close Firefox.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 9.0 r45
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0.1
I don't know how to get this. I just tried the process again and did wind up at Adobe's troubleshooting page. I don't know how to do all this....
Try this method.....
There are 2 versions of Flash, one for IE only (ActiveX version) and on for most other browsers including Firefox (Plugin version). You must update each one individually.
- using Firefox download and save Flash from this link (save to your Desktop; easier for you to find): get.adobe.com/flashplayer
- when the download is finished, close Firefox (click Firefox button > Exit OR File > Exit, if using the Menu Bar)
- click or double-click the file you just downloaded
- on the left side of the install window, put a check mark in the box next to "I have read and agree"
- click on the Install button on the lower right of the install window; it will light up after you put the check mark in the previous step
- let the installation complete; it is quick
- using Firefox test your installation of Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
- to update IE Flash, follow the same steps but use IE to go to the link in step #1
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.
Not related to your question, but....
You need to update some plug-ins:
- Plug-in check: https://www-trunk.stage.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape: Installing/Updating Adobe Reader in Firefox
Thanks very much for responding. In the meantime I went to Adobe's troubleshooting page, and followed the instruction to uninstall the previous version. I did that and noticed that the failed version 10 install was listed, and tried to uninstall that--same problem: close Firefox. So I rebooted Windows, then went to the uninstall page and uninstalled ver 10. That worked fine. Then I installed ver 10 with no problem. Somehow Firefox was staying open as far as Adobe install/uninstall programs were concerned. And the failed version of 10 was also preventing the install. I also installed the latest Reader. Thanks again. I hope all this helps Firefox somehow.