This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
I downloaded the New FireFox 5.0.1(2).exe, but everytime I try to run it, I get "Extraction Failed, File corrupt"
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition
All Replies (1)
First of all, click Tools, then Add-ons and then Plugins. In there, remove the Ask Toolbar. There are compatibility issues between Firefox and "Ask" at the moment.
- Next, go to Download Firefox 5.0.1 and download the installation file to your desktop.
- Then go to Add/Remove Programs, scroll down to "Mozilla Firefox" and remove it, choosing to keep your bookmarks, customizations etc., (don't checkmark the box).
- Then reboot and delete the folder called "Mozilla Firefox" at this location: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- Finally run the installation file you downloaded to the desktop earlier.
Your bookmarks, customizations etc., are maintained in a different location and will become available to you again once you complete the installation.
As a precaution, make a backup of your Bookmarks as follows:
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+B to open the Bookmarks Manager.
- Click the link to Import and Backup and then click Export HTML and save the file somewhere.
You can use this file at any time to restore your bookmarks should that prove to be necessary. Simply reverse the procedure and choose "Import HTML instead.
N.B. If you use a download accelerator, disable it before you attempt to download Firefox. These utilities are a frequent cause of extraction failures.
If this suggestion resolves the problem for you, please click the Solved it button next to this post after you log in into the forum. This will help others searching for a solution to the same problem.