Why is Firefox 5 unresponsive and locking up my Mac ?
Firefox 4 was awful, but Firefox 5 isn't much better. I have had to force quit Firefox 5 several times. It is also very slow and at times unresponsive. It slows down my whole Mac Book Pro, and makes other Apps unresponsive at the same time.
I never had a problem with Firefox 3.6
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
I opened Firefox 5
- Picasa plugin.
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5.9
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Version 126.96.36.19968
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.5
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0.1
Mac book Pro (came with OSX 10.4.8 Tiger) running OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I'm using Firefox 5.01
For what it's worth, I too was having the issue with FireFox 5.01. It would work breifly after a "force quit" then would go unresponsive again. I ended up installing the beta 6, and my problems went away.
I'm now using Firefox 6.0.2 and it is better, but please guys in the front office it ain't much better. I still have to force quit it often. It is soooo slow, and forget running another app with it. I just tried Firefox 3.6.20 again, and it is by far a smoother experience.
I can't believe that anyone at Mozilla uses this stuff. If they did they would fix it.