despite upgrading to firefox 5 when I try to add googletoolbar it says I'm using Firefox 3! I'm thinking I'll just use another browser as this is infuriating!
I upgraded to firefox 5 and my google toolbar went. I was sent a solution that worked on one of the machines in my home. Despite trying to use that same link to add the missing toolbar to this machine, firefox keeps telling me that I am using firefox 3. I have just installed firefox 5 twice more, I have been doing this for the last two weeks. Still it insists I'm using the old version. It is most infuriating as a spell check is vital. I'm aware I can right click on a word but that is an American dictionary and I'm English and like to spell correctly. What can resolve this before I uninstall firefox and find an alternative browser?
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
I foolishly upgraded to the new version of firefox thinking it would be better than the previous versions.
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Live Update v1.5
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 GTB5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) FBSMTWB
1. Your UserAgent says you are running Firefox 3.0.11, and that issue need to be fixed.
2. Google needs to update the Google Toolbar program for Firefox 5.0.
The Google Toolbar 7.1.20110512W version does work pretty good in Firefox 5.0 by using the Compatibility Reporter extension. But not every feature works 100%.
Google Labs has been working on a GTB 8 version, but it looks like it isn't made for Firefox - just for Internet Explorer.
So, maybe Google isn't going to be supporting Firefox any longer. That might be a move to force Google Toolbar users over to Google Chrome, which I believe has all those features built-in.
3. You can install other English spell check dictionaries in addition to the US - English dictionary that comes with the en-US version of Firefox, from this web page:
Your user agent shows that you have/had the Fast Browser Search toolbar (FBSMTWB) installed that can be considered as malware.
Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs Uninstall "Fast Browser search protection" and "Fast Browser Search"
See also these pages and threads about Fast Browser Search (FBSMTWB in the user agent, Help > About).
- http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51697 - Manual Removal Guide for FastBrowserSearchToolbar