Hello- I would like to have new pages open in a separate tab automatically...(i.e., Google--- Google listing---click on listing-----auto open new tab and put the page of the google listing that I selected, on the new tab. Thanks. RMartinez
Hello again- Here is my scenario- I am browsing, and let's say, I'm on Google. I look up "albatross novels." I get 6 hits. I look at the list, and I pick one of them. I double-click on it, and away we go. My current Google search page is REPLACED by the selected "albatross" site. But it's not exactly what I want. So now I click the BACK ARROW to go back to the Google page, to look at the other 'albatross" hits. And now I find another site, replacing my Google page when I open it......And THAT site takes me to another site, and another, and yet another......But then I realize that the first site WAS the best one. Now I have to hit the back button 15 times and probably NOT reach the Google page from which I started.
But if I could have the new pages open in a new tab, then I could go back and forth between all the pages without worrying about the back button.
I am sure that this is just a setting change somewhere, but I can't find it....I do have it on my work computer.
Additional System Details
This started when...
I browse the internet
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Office Live Update v1.3
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Google Update
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
When I open a link from a search it does open in a new tab (it is new, but it is at least in Firefox 4+)
browser.search.openintab user set true
You will find interesting reading on tabs in
- Tabbed Browsing in Firefox
- Tabs configuration, extracted from About:config entries - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
- 001 Tab Capacity Test
- Tab Color Underscoring active/read/unread (Fx3.6) - Themes and Skins for Browser - userstyles.org
actually colors all borders not just an underline-- see picture in Tabs Bar Minimal Size
- Tabs, Enlarge list-all-tabs button - Themes and Skins for Browser - userstyles.org
- Tabs Bar Minimal Size - Themes and Skins for Browser - userstyles.org
From a Google search you should have the pages open in another tab, but with Google that is not quite good enough because they have them open all in the same new tab as you noticed so you've done that.
- Search and Substitution Shortcuts especially for Firefox users
You can use Ctrl+click or Ctrl+Shift+click to open a link in a new tab.
- Firefox and other Browser Keyboard Shortcuts (Comparison Table)
You can use app-tab to pin the tab, right-click on the tab and choose pin-tab and the opposite to unpin tab, or delete the tab when done.