How do I save my bookmarks to an external hard drive?
I am simply trying to save my bookmarks to my external hard drive and it doesnt seem to be as easy as I thought.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.4"
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
In addition to the support article that cor-el posted:
If you do an Export in HTML format and then save that file to your external hard drive, you will have a bookmarks format that can be imported to almost every browser ever made, all versions of Firefox included. The bookmarks.html format is cross-browser compatible, plus it saves the website "images" (favicons).
The default Firefox bookmarks Backup format of the JSON file format, is only compatible with Firefox. JSON format does save the Tag data (HTML format doesn't), if you use that feature in Firefox, but it doesn't save the favicon data as the HTML format does.
So, depending upon why you want to backup your bookmarks to an external drive, you may want to consider doing it in both formats. IOW, do a "backup" and an "export".