I am trying to update from Firefox 3 to 4 on my desktop. I did it on my laptop. When I try to drag 4 to my applications folder I get a message saying "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."
I cannot install Firefox 4. I think I already gave as many details as I have in my question.
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
I tried to update a few days ago.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4
I tried several times and always get that message. Checked Preference permissions and I think things are okay there.
If you have problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the DMG file to the desktop
- Firefox 4.0.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Firefox 3.6.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
- Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data.