Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

On two occasions I have tried to click on web site addresss emailed to me. Instead of connecting me, Firefox's address box simply reads "go to a website."

  • 2 replies
  • 2 have this problem
  • Last reply by jimboyd15

more options

An email from the Pacific Flyway Decoy Collectors newsletter editor contained an address to view the newsletter. When I clicked on it all I saw in the Firefox address box at the top of my screen was "Go to a Web Site". Just a few moments ago the same thing happened when I clicked on address sent by American Century Investments that was supposed to connect me with a report about one of the company's mutual funds.otice as an address, but nothing else happened.

All Replies (2)

more options

I take it that these to are exceptions and that you can read most sites.

One is a decoy site, one could be a decoy site (sorry about the puns).

I'd be a bit leery about clicking on any link from a bank purporting to be my bank, and I would go to the actual bank site myself using my own bookmark rather than clicking on a link.

I've not run across what you say, they could be JavaScript links, which would be unusual, I think, in email. I'd bring up the headers and details, but how you do that depends on what you are using to view your email, and whether you can read/understand the links depends on whether you have some knowledge of HTML coding. Possibly the links use Active-X and expect your browser to be IE, and if you can't read the source a lot more cause for concern.

more options

Thanks for the reply although I don't find it particularly useful since I am basically a computer illiterate. When I click on an address I just want Firefox to find it and display it. Period. Having Firefox display "Go to a Web Site" or something similar in the address box is just annoying. I figured when I first encountered the problem that it was an error in the address I had been given by the organization's newsletter editor. When the same thing happened today with a list of addresses provided by my mutual fund, I figured the problem is Firefox's to correct. (I suppose I should try to open those addresses using the Safari program I got with my IMac.) Anyway, thanks for the help.