How to restore recently deleted history files on Firefox 4?
A few minutes ago, my brother clicked Tools>Clear recent history and selected 'Clear Everything' including my Browsing and Download Histories (He did this without my permission, and I've warned him many times before about this zzz). So now, I still have my Bookmarks but not my History and Downloads, and I need them rather urgently. I'm using Firefox 4 and I want to restore my past-visited sites. How do I restore/recover those lost files? I have not closed my Firefox window yet, and I couldn't really find any 'history.dat' file in the Mozilla Folder. Please help me!
Additional System Details
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.4"
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
he easy and quick way to restore file and activity History is the System Restore feature. Since much history is saved into the Windows Registry, restoring it to a previous state will restore file and program History. Revert your computer back to the desired date and enjoy restored History.
If a user has used eraser track programs such as Ad-aware or Spybot, this method will not work and you will need to access the lesser known log files that Windows keeps (the "index.dat" files). Search for "index.dat" on your computer, you will need to download Super WinSpy to view them.
If a user has used advanced tools to erase usage tracks, program logs, registry history and the index.dat files, restore is more difficult. Try using a disk editor to directly access hard disk sectors.
Only IE stores that data in the Windows Registry.
Firefox uses its own sqlite database files to store the browsing (places.sqlite) and download (downloads.sqlite) files.
If that data is deleted then it is lost unless you have a backup of the files in the Firefox Profile Folder.