Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Firefox 3.6 address bar behaviour has suddenly changed?

  • 10 replies
  • 3 have this problem
  • 9 views
  • Last reply by Destenoth

more options

Like most Firefox users, I've been happily enjoying the Browse By Name feature. Now, all of a sudden, it's stopped working. Despite being fully functional within the last week, the address bar is now acting strangely. If I type in "facebook" Firefox attempts to load http://facebook/ . Same goes for a few other sites, like Twitter. If I type in "abc net au" then I get taken to abc.net.au, like I should, but if I type in "youtube" then I get taken to http://www.google.com.au/ . Needless to say this has me confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Firefox version: 3.6.17 OS: Mac OS X 10.4.11 PowerPC

Firefox reckons it's up to date.

All Replies (10)

more options

First you should correct the user agent that identifies you as Firefox 3.0.5 instead of Firefox 3.6.17

  • Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.0.5,

Pref: general.useragent.extra.firefox: Firefox/3.0.5

See:


You can modify the pref keyword.URL on the about:config page to use Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" or Google's "Browse By Name".


Modified by cor-el

more options

Hi, thanks for your response. I've fixed up the user agent that was providing the incorrect Firefox version. As for my original problem, still no joy, I'm afraid. I've tried resetting the keyword.URL value to its default, as well as using the URL you suggested. Neither fixed my problem. I've also tried toggling keyword.enabled on and off, with no success. If I put the Browse By Name URL you suggested in my address bar and manually append something like "facebook", I'll be taken to facebook.com, but if I type facebook into the address bar (with both keyword.enabled set to true and keyword.URL set to the URL you provided) Firefox tries to take me to http://facebook/ . Needless to say, something is wrong here. It seems to me that something is going wrong with how Firefox decides what to pass to the search engine specified at keyword.URL and what to try to navigate to itself :/ . Any further help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I've tried reinstalling, as well as creating a new profile. The issue remains unresolved.

Modified by Destenoth

more options

You can check if fixup is still enabled:

more options

Fixup is still enabled, and the prefix and suffix it uses are the default www and .com . Still no joy.

more options

Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See:

If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile (be careful not to copy corrupted files)

See:

Modified by cor-el

more options

Creating a new profile doesn't change anything, nor does reinstalling.

more options

Well, I'm pleased but confused to report that the issue has been resolved. It's certainly nothing I've done, but the local exchange has been down for the past day (taking phone and internet connections with it). Now that it's back, Firefox is back to behaving normally. This leads me to wonder if it was something to do with my ISP having issues, but we'll never know. Thanks for taking the time to try and help :-)

more options

Alas, I spoke too soon. Despite the fact that last night everything was working just fine, today the problems have returned. This is a brand new install of Firefox with a brand new profile. Not only have no settings in about:config been modified by me, but I've doubled checked the relevant entries (keyword.URL, keyword.enabled, fixup, etc.) and they all seem to fit with what the knowledge base articles and my internet searches say they should be. This is a very frustrating error; I just can not get my head around how typing "youtube" into the address bar lands me at "www.google.com.au".

more options

What is the value of keyword.URL ?

more options

When set to default, the value is: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=

If I paste that directly in to the address bar and type in something like "youtube" then Browse By Name will direct me to www.youtube.com, as it should. With that set as the value of keyword.URL, and with keyword.enabled set to true, typing "youtube" will land me at www.google.com.au . I tried changing my DNS servers (from my ISP's defaults to Google's and also to DynDNS' Internet Guide) and this had no effect on the error. This is leading me to conclude that somehow, Firefox isn't trying to use the keyword.URL, even though keyword.enabled is set to true. I have no idea why though.

Also, here's an interesting fact. Typing "logitech" in the address bar takes me to the website of some Perth ISP, but trying the Browse By Name URL with "logitech" appended manually works as you'd expect. Strange, strange times.

Modified by Destenoth