When I open a new tab it does not open with my default browser but the security programs browser how do i change this?
My Security / AntiVirus program appears to have added a search bar into Firefox. When i open a new tab in Firefox 4 it opens with this as the default search engine and not my favourite Google which is set up when I open firefox. How can i change this or remove the security/antivirus search bar?
Additional System Details
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r159
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Please do the following.
- In the location bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
- In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL
- Double click it and remove whatever's in there and replace it with http://www.google.com/search?q=
The URL to add in "keyword.URL" becomes a link in this post, so right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" to copy it to the Windows clipboard. Then hit CTRL+V to paste it. Saves you having to type the whole thing.
EDIT: If the Search engine is AVG Security Toolbar, follow instructions here to disable it in addition to the above steps: http://free.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-2948#tba5
To reset your home page, do the following.
- Go to the site you want to set as your homepage.
- Click the orange Firefox button and go to Options | Options | General (Firefox 4.0.x and above).
- Go to Tools | Options | General (Previous version of Firefox).
- Make sure it says "Show My Homepage" in the first dropdown menu.
- Click the button called "Use Current Pages" to set the homepage to the one you have on the screen.
Modified by Xircal
To prevent a recurrence, install this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/browserprotect/
Could you also please click the "Solved It" button to take your post out of the loop?