I cannot change my homepage. It has automatically changed itself to some other search engine. The worse part is it won't permanently change in the settings either.
I should mention I downloaded an application called "savevid" to download youtube videos the other day, and I believe this is when the problem began. I uninstalled the program and I still cannot change my homepage.
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.3"
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- Office Live Update v1.3
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Please do the following.
- In the location bar, type 'about:config' and hit Enter.
- In the filter at the top, type: 'keyword.URL'
- Double click it and remove whatever's in there and replace it with http://www.google.com/search?q=
- Close the about:config tab.
The URL to add in "keyword.URL" becomes a link in this post, so right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" to copy it to the Windows clipboard. Then hit CTRL+V to paste it. Saves you having to type the whole thing.
To reset your home page, do the following.
- Go to the site you want to set as your homepage.
- Click the orange Firefox button and go to Options | Options | General
- Make sure it says "Show My Homepage" in the first dropdown menu.
- Click the button called "Use Current Pages" to set the homepage to the one you have on the screen.
I thought I had cracked it. Changed keyword url and homepage to the one I wanted, namely uk.msn. It all worked fine, unfortunately after switching off and then restarting I was back to to the wrong start page. Both keyword url and homepage had changed. Ant other suggestion would be much appreciated.
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
Install this add-on to prevent hijacking: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/browserprotect/
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately the problem still remained. The web site is 'searchqu.com'. However, I have effectively solved the problem. I went to 'Tools', 'options', 'content', 'load images automatically' and under 'exceptions' blocked it. This seemed to have worked .
It seems to be an Israeli search engine: http://whois.domaintools.com/18.104.22.168
I'd recommend you install this add-on to prevent another search engine from deleting or modifying your preferences: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/browserprotect/