What does the setting 'use system proxy setting' mean?
I am using a proxy server that requires my email address which I need to change. I can't figure out how to change the proxy server settings. Under preferences, network, settings, the checked box is 'use system proxy settings' -- I don't know what this means or how to see what the proxy setting is and possibly change it. Thank you
Additional System Details
This started when...
problem only exits because I need to make a change
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- Office Live Update v1.0
- Simple plug-in that handles Citrix connection files
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
If the default "Use system proxy settings" is selected then Firefox will try to query the OS to find which settings to use.
If you want to use a specific proxy in Firefox then you can select use "Manual proxy configuration" and enter the URL and port number that you want to use.