Why does Firefox want to restart in 32-bit mode, on some sites sometimes and sometimes not. ie. Hotmail
There are times when I log into some sites, and it won't complete and Firefox is telling me that I need to restart in 32-bit mode to view the site. Does this mean I have to switch my Mac from 64-bit back to 32-bit? Also, why do some sites tell you Firefox needs to restart in 32-bit mode, but only sometimes. Like Hotmail. Sometimes when I log in, I get that message, sometimes I don't. Is this an issue with Firefox or the site?
Additional System Details
- RealPlayer Plugin
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.1243
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Speed Download Plugin. Allows downloads to be redirected to Speed Download
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Add my name to this problem. I have OS X 10.6. Please fix it!!!
Kills me that after a month of posting my question, your the only one that's replied...but with the same issue. Does Firefox NOT check their support pages?
By the way, still having those issues.
On a Mac, Firefox 4 is a 64 bit application.
Not all plugins support 64 bit and if not then you need to start Firefox in 32 bit mode to use that plugin.
- Close Firefox
- Open the Applications folder in Finder
- Right click or control-click the Firefox.app icon
- Select "Get Info"
- Select or Deselect "Open in 32-bit mode"
- Close the "Firefox Info" window
- Restart Firefox
Thanks cor-el, didn't know that's how you switch Firefox to 32-bit mode. That will be very helpful.
I understand about some plugins not being compatible with 64-bit. But in regards to Hotmail (and other sites with similar issues), why would it tell me to start in 32-bit mode at times, and other times it doesn't? Glitch? Tx.
Are you uploading attachments ?
I do have silverlight installed. You have to if you want to access any MS site. Not uploading attachments. Only happens when I access the sites. But like I said, it happens sometimes, and other times it doesn't. Actually happened yesterday, but before that, hadn't happened in about a couple of weeks. Didn't do anything different.
Okay. I followed your instructions and switched Firefox to 32-bit mode. And now I'm stuck there. WTH?! There is no apparent way to get back to 64-bit mode. What do I do now?
I have the same problem. Only in Hotmail, and only at certain times, like trying to save a draft. It's really annoying. I might expect Firefox to have compatibility issues with some smaller websites, but not something like Hotmail.