How do I make google the default URL for a new tab? I hate ask.com - how do I remove it altogether?
nothing more to add
Additional System Details
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 188.8.131.52
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
A new tab should be empty by default. If that is not the case then you may have an extension causing this to happen.
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
You can modify the pref keyword.URL on the about:config page to use a Google Lucky search.
How do I get rid of ask.com though? I don't have it installed as a toolbar, but it's still on the screen. And it's there when I open a new tab. This is the info I get on a new tab screen:
New Browser Tab
<search box> and under that, it says "Powered by Ask".
I want the google search box to show up there, not Ask.
Did you try Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode?
It may be caused by an extension that hides under a different name.
OK - I'll try it. I don't know what an add-on or extension is, so I might come back.
I got this - the culprit was the Foxit .pdf creator toolbar.
"New Browser Tab" powered by Ask, has a beautiful design [interface,view],and i like it precisely to this! I can not, on the contrary, find and install it back.
Okay, I've removed ask.com, but I don't feel at all comfortable about adding to my configuration settings. How can I open a new tab with my home page in it, instead of empty? That is, when I click on the + to the right of an open/labelled tab I get get a new empty tab, and can't figure out how to make it open with a specific URL. Thanks for any help....
Modified by rivka1818