Firefox crashes when I copy or paste Asian characters
Recently, I noticed that when I tried to paste Asian characters (Japanese or Chinese, I don't speak Korean so I haven't tried it) that it would freeze Firefox and I would have to forcefully end the process.
I thought perhaps it was because I recently (within the last few days) updated to Firefox 4.0, so I uninstalled it, and reinstalled the last one I had an installer for (3.5.1). That didn't solve the problem either, and now I'm noticing that I cannot copy Asian characters from within Firefox either. Not only does it crash the program itself, but the data never actually gets entered into the clipboard!
Additional System Details
- Version 126.96.36.199
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.5
- Winamp Application Detector
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- QUAKE LIVE
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
Well, first of all, you should upgrade to v3.6.16 by going to Help | Check For Updates. The version you're running exposes your system to attack by many exploits which are prevalent on the Web. You can also download a copy for later use from here: Download Firefox v3.6.16
Another danger lies in your plugins. Go to the Plugin Check page and update those which are recommended.
As regards your problem, I looked at a few sites and this one: Chinese Fonts in Windows 7 states that Microsoft only intends Win 7 to display Asian fonts, not use them. There are however instructions of what to do to actually achieve the latter goal. Perhaps it'll be of some use to you.
P.S. Sorry it took so long to answer your question.
Well, I tried it and it fixed the problem I have with -copying- Japanese text, but I still cannot paste it without FF freezing up on me. T_T
Can you give me the link to the page you copy from?
It doesn't matter where I copy it from. I can copy from an external program, like a word processor, and it still freezes when I go to paste it into Firefox.
For example, try copying this (if you can see at is Japanese rather than scrambled characters, that is...): これは特別な言葉じゃない。
Try changing the character encoding to Japanese before you paste.
That actually fixes it. But my browser is set to auto-detect Japanese encoding, and is automatically set to Unicode (which includes Japanese characters) by default. Why would it work in Shift-JIS and not in Unicode?
Huh. Nevermind. It's working in Unicode now, too. I don't get it. >_>;
Glad to hear it's working anyway.
Could you please click the "Helpful" button which will mark the thread as "Solved"?