Where can I find the Firefox cache. It has disappeared for the old location.
I frequently viewed the Firefox cache. When I first got FF 4.0 they had complicated it a lot, but I could still find it. As of today -3/30/11-I cannot find it at all.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.3"
- Google Update
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility Module
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
You can find the location of the two caches on the about:cache page (open that page via the location bar like a website).
Only large image and media files are stored as individual files on disk.
Other files are stored in a few large container files (_CACHE_XXX_) in the cache folder and not as separate files on disk.
The individual files on disk have random names without a file extension for security reasons: you can't open an application or start a downloaded virus inadvertently by clicking a file in the cache folder.
Firefox 4 uses a more sophisticated file structure and creates many subdirectories in the main cache folder to make it possible to store files in the cache.
I really appreciate your reply.
"about:cache" entered in the location bar does nothing, no error message, just nothing. Yesterday, using FF 4, I could find the cache folder which had folders 1-9 and A-E (I think) and each had many folders in it. All the files I wanted to see were in those folders. Today the cache folder has disappeared completely, at least from that location.
Original cache folder was located as follows: Users:myusername:AppData:Local:Mozilla:Firefox:Profiles:hrd4zfxh.default:cache
Did you check the location of the default profile to see if the cache has been moved?
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Are you running Firefox in Private Browsing - Use Firefox without saving history mode?
- To see all History and Cookie settings, choose: Tools > Options > Privacy, choose the setting Firefox will: Use custom settings for history
- Uncheck: [ ] "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session"
Is the cache still enabled?
- Firefox (Tools) > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage
You can also check these prefs on the about:config page.
I found the cache of the FF4, but it not was useful. (In the "local settings/application data/... " there is anywhere, I don't remember, because I installed back the FF3.6.15
The cache problem of the Firefox: it can store into the cache below 66MBytes only, and no more.
The Firefox version 4 also can't store bigger files, and additionally it has a very problematic feature: the thousands of different subdirectories, which are not surveyable, and a little bit confused.
It's operation was a little bit buggy, so I try to keep the older versions of Firefox, as far as possible and a little over...
(Remark: the caching of the different web browsers are very different: the best is the Internet Explorer, the worst is the Google Crome, between what I tried.)
Modified by papy_on_board