Firefox 4 cannot create new windows properly when using multiple monitors on OS X
I have had bad problems with Firefox 4 on OS X and doing anything involving new window generation, whether it's viewing Downloads, Page Source, or just a new browser window. I've finally diagnosed exactly when things break down, and that is when I'm using a second monitor plugged into my MacBook Pro, and have the menu set to be on the second monitor instead of the laptop screen.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I upgraded to FF 4
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Version 18.104.22.1689
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.4
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
I Found This Workaround
- Move the frontmost window of firefox to the main monitor (the one with the apple title bar).
- Do whatever it is you would do to spawn the new window.
- After the window has spawned, return your windows to the desired arrangement.
- Wait for the firefox team to post an update that fixes this problem because it is severely annoying.
The problem is persisting through version 6.0.2 (on an new iMac 21.5" w/ OS 10.7.1). (That workaround seems to still work, too.)
This has been fixed in Firefox 9:
Modified by BenoitGirard