How can I stop Firefox asking me to update to a newer version?
It seems like every couple of days, I get a message from Firefox telling me I should update to a newer version. I don't want to do that. I'm happy with the version I have. How can a stop these messages, other than going to Safari (I'm a Mac user).
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
A new version was available.
- Displays PDF documents in the browser.
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- npmnqmp 071505000006
- RealPlayer Plugin
- Simple Browser plug-in that launchs CaddieSync for Mac
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11
Why Man? Upgrade to firefox 4. You will be amazed to see its performance.
37,822,332 Users are using it and it is still counting.
Anyway if you want your current version, then do this:
- Press Alt+T
- Click on Options
- Go to Advanced Panel
- Go to Update tab
- Uncheck the box Automatically check Updates to Firefox
See if it works.
Note: If anyone's reply has solved your problem, then please mark that reply as "Solved It" to the right of that reply after logging in your account. It will help us to concentrate on new questions.
Adding to what has already been mentioned, it is highly advisable to upgrade since newer versions of Firefox are more stable and secure. They contain security fixes to help you stay safe from several types of online threats like spyware, malware, trojan horses, phishing, fraudulent sites etc.
I would recommend you to upgrade to at least 3.6.16 if not 4.0.
While I appreciate upgrading to the latest stable version is advisable, I'm sick of Firefox asking me to upgrade to version 5 BETA. I have no desire to, my dev tools aren't compatible and to be quite honest, there's no way I'm going to use a BETA as my main browser.
Don't work. Updates have two radio buttons: -# 1 Ask me and
- 2 automatic download and installation.
Therefore it will bug you to death until you DO AS THEY WANT YOU TO. Don't you know they know what is good for you. OBEY......OBEY... and stop trying to be different you stupid independant person you.
Your advice to the MAC user to solve this issue does NOT work. In TOOLS/OPTIONS/ADVANCED/UPDATE there are only 2 radio buttons to choose from, ASK ME and AUTO. It is NOT possible to UNCHECK BOTH. One of them must be checked. In the recent past there was a small message at the bottom of the page reminding me to upgrade. Now this reminder has been replaced with an ANNOYING LARGER BOX reminder every time I open FF. Solution please. I have no plan on changing versions. I looked at screen shots of all the newer versions from 4 through 12. I do not like any of them for various reasons.
You're replying to a thread that is over a year old. You should use https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new where volunteers can get more details about your setup.
Because this thread is so old and more people might start using it for their own questions, I'm going to lock it.