Tried to upgrade a IBook G4 to FireFox 4.0 and could not make it work, is 4.0 not supported on this older machine?
Per instructions I tried to upgrade to FireFox 4.0 on my older iBook G4 and would not open. The FireFox logo had a white circle imposed on it. I was really stuck with the older version gone, and the newer one would not work. I managed to copy an older version of FireFox from another machine. Funny thing is that after loading the copy, I was still asked to upgrade to 4.0. All of this was very frustrating.
Additional System Details
- Gecko default plugin
- Netscape Navigator Default Plug-in
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Coupons Inc Bricks Safari Plugin
- Java 1.3.1 Plug-in
- Simplifies the uploading of photo files.
- Provides support for Digital Rights Management
- Shockwave Flash 6.0 r47
- Java 1.3.1 Plug-in (CFM)
- Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1.1
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8
Firefox 4 requires at least OS X 10.5 and an Intel Mac. There is a third party version of Firefox 4 that runs on OS X 10.4/10.5 and PPC Macs, for details see http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox
The latest official version to run on OS X 10.4 is Firefox 3.6.16 available from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
Mozilla are working to prevent Mac users with non-compatible systems from getting the notification about Firefox 4, and also not displaying the "Download Firefox 4" button on http://www.mozilla.com