Firefox 4 sucks
Firefox 4 sucks.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
When you released FF4
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
What problem do you have??
I uninstalled v4 less than a minute after installation, went back to 3.6. WHY did they remove the 'save and quit' option???
It's very easy to fix, please read this thread:
Thanks silkphoenix. I followed the instructions, but it still will exit only without offering to save. I did just find the 'restore previous session' under history though.
When you open Firefox 4 there is a big blue button on the bottom of the home page 'about:home' that can automatically restore your previous session which means all previous open tabs.
Firefox 4 doesn't suck because you fail to find answers to your problems.
FIREFOX 4 R O C K S!!
(see image below)
Modified by Doc
You lost far to much for whatever little benefits there are. The tab bar is now borked - home button OPPOSITE where it traditionally is, but hey at least it's there. Combined tab bar with the frame is chromish and one reason I avoided chrome. I like my tabs under the address bar. Now I have no choice. Half my addons fail, and NTT only causes more problems when forcing them since the simplicity of customisation is now lost - everything is enforced. NO STATUS BAR. Half my addons used icons in it, now I need a damn addon to use addons. Stupid. I try to avoid as many addons as possible, yet now I need more just to use less. Stupid. Everything is just borked. And if thunderbird is anything to go by, I'll be going back to 3.x before long because the people at mozilla has stopped caring about the end user, and have been ignoring problematic 'UPGRADES' for a long time.
You'll use it and you'll LIKE IT. Or else.
Umm you do know restoring previous sessions has been there all along for the last few versions?
firefox 3.6 is still way better than 4. got some quite troubles with version 4.
It takes up way to much memory. If I ever need to find Firefox in the process list I sort the list descended by memory usage and FF is always first taking up tons of RAM. Plus it crashes with no reason. No plugins or addons enabled. I disabled everything thinking it may be some addon/plugin issue. But no. It just crashes. The Mozilla guys must have hundreds of crash reports submited by my browser. FF 3 was slow and old but at least addons were all working properly and I could leave my browser opened for days. So...yeah. It sucks
- What happened everyone? Were we simply trying to copy Chrome?
- The UI for v4 is simply horrendous!
- I've been using Firefox since v1, and now I'll be forced to switch to Chrome after my v3.6.15 becomes unusable due to security issues.
- Taking away the status bar? Really?
- Moving the home button to the far right hand side of the address and search bar? Do you not realize most modern day screens are wide screens now? On a 24" iMac, this friggin' SUCKS!
- I tried v4, and thankfully I had the .dmg to revert back to v3.6.15
- With a broadband connection, and a couple of tweaks to about:config, I personally can't see any speed difference between the two (as a user).
- I can live with taking away the refresh button, and simply using F5, but that home button is ridiculous.
- At least provide the options in the customization menu to have it back the way we (the users) prefer it.
- It's never a good idea to let a developer or engineer design the UI. You should always have a hard core user in a QA (Quality Assurance) position guiding the user interface design and function.
- I'm so disappointed that its just ridiculous. After years of working as a Network Engineer, and promoting Firefox with plugins like NoScript for a secure browser choice, I'll now have to move to Google's Chrome instead.
- The biggest impact will be to your most dedicated users like me who feel completely betrayed with these new UI choices. This really does suck to no end!
- But, I guess Google's Chrome is the most secure browser out right now for three years running. So, I may as well get use to it. Not to mention, they have the funds to push Firefox aside as the number two browser and take the lead. Especially with these kind of UI design decisions.
Modified by Tommy_
In response to sunveer above;
...Most likely the crappy UI redesign and functionality. Can anyone say Chrome? I've got it! ...Firefox has realized they're going to go under, so they're changing the browser UI to POORLY mimic that of Chrome. This of course in an effort to curb the hatred by its previous users (once gone), by having them somewhat familiar with an alternate browser choice! I believe that's it!!! Yes, ...I've figured it out!!!
Oh, and BTW, ...Firefox 4 SUCKS!
Modified by Tommy_
how did you get 3.6 back? Im trying to find it??
ff4 looks like a micorsoft browser ugh!
ff4 looks like a micorsoft browser ugh!
Before I start, get the real FF back.
I've been a dedicated FF users from the beginning, but I believe after the end of the 3.6 life cycle or a PROJECT FORK I'll be looking for a new browser. If Firefox is going to now follow the pack rather than define it, I might as well just move to Chrome. Apparently the FF team has.
Drastic changes to the UI haven't improved the browser, just made it look like Chrome. I like status bars, I like menu options (New Window, New Tab menu order) that stay the same between versions. Buttons moved all over the place. Also, why remove the Update Check plugin link was a great idea and tool. The plugin check site is still there but apparently not good enough to link as a feature in the add-on tool dialogs? Alas, I can't remember my 10 other complaints as I stopped using v4 a few hours ago.
4.0 release crashed constantly like a beta, the plugin menu is a mess, and all the "make FF4 look/act like FF3.6" plugins I installed vanished from the menu at some point. My point? I have come to expect a stable, secure, and user driven product from the FF project. Apparently much time was spent on cloning chrome and less time on the function.
Thanks Mozilla for the good years, time to look for the browser of the future because it is clear FF has lost its independence and confidence.
Everything is still there, you just need to customize it
Home button: right-click it, click Customize, a new window will open, click and drag the Home button to its old place (in-front of the address bar) and then click Done
Refresh button: same as Home button, but it's now 2 buttons (refresh+stop) in 1. You can add/remove them separately
Tabs: right-click on the toolbar, and uncheck Tabs on Top
Menu Bar: Firefox (new button) > Options and check Menu Bar
Status Bar: right-click on the toolbar, and check Add-on Bar
I agree with front242. I've been using Firefox for a bit less than a year and I'm sick and tired of all the tweeks and diddling the programmers do with every patch/upgrade. Every time something changed so I have to relearn/rediscover/re-customize and now v4.0 has really blown my set-up out of the water. I don't want to hear some lame Firefox programmer or supporter saying "Its easy - just recustomize". Don't they get it? I want a browser thats easy to use, consistent between versions and intuitive..... all of which Firefox has proven itself NOT to be.
I'm deleting Firefox from all 3 of my computers and going back to IE
Not chrome it phones home with every key stroke you make. Firefox 4 is junk compared to the version it replaces. I reverted back to the version I had and will never update it.
Well it looks like a lot of people hate the new Firefox 4 and that is going to be a problem because Mozilla won't do anything about it. You will get the option to use it or switch browsers and that is a crap response to all the complaints. I used to recommend Firefox but I am unable to now. As I only use an older version it wouldn't be right for me to recommend something I won't even use myself. I have turned off the option to look for updates and will be looking for a new browser to replace Firefox soon. Shame as I really liked it and have been using it since it first came out, but that was then and this is now and it is CRAP
The UI of Firefox 4 is as ugly as it can get. If we users wanted Chrome we would use Chrome and not a copy. What I personally dislike the most is that they removed the status bar and now when we hover a link we have a variable sized popup that doesn't show the full url. The old status bar with the status, loadbar and download status was way better. The upper part of the interface has the options to change it kind of like before, but it should be the other way around, the default should be the classic look and it should have the options to look crappy (the way it looks by default). And also, when the menu bar is set to visible it has an ugly cloud-looking thing behind the text. The only thing I liked about the new version was the merging of the reload & stop buttons on the address bar and the paste & go option, every other change to the UI was unnecessary. For now I will stay with version 3.6 and if they don't fix the UI I'll just use another browser.