Firefox shows a black box when viewing YouTube videos, though Chrome doesn't.
So I tried to watch a video on YouTube, yet Firefox just shows a black box. Neither the video nor the audio will play. It doesn't crash my browser or bring up any errors, which leads me to believe that it is not a Flash Player problem.
I opened Google Chrome and tried, and it plays YouTube videos with no problems.
I restarted my computer, yet it still does not work.
Any assistance is very much so appreciated.
Additional System Details
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Pando Web Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1242
- QUAKE LIVE
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Nexon Game Controller
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
I just noticed that I can view embedded youtube videos linked from other websites but I cannot view the same videos directly at youtube.com
Modified by qazwsxedc
Yeah, I can do the same, qazwsxedc.
Does it help if you change the http link to https?
Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.
- "Clear the Cache": Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"
- "Remove the Cookies" from sites causing problems: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Changing to https fixed it for me. After adding the 'S' it remained for any other video I played.
Modified by qazwsxedc
https works perfectly. But the average Firefox or YouTube user probably won't know this. Hope a real fix is in the works.
I am having the same problem - and the https thing is working for me. Annoying as hell though.
Same problems after i have upgrade Flash Player 10.3.181.34 plugins!!
Same appening on IE9 and Firefox and i need ever to reset the cache of browser!!
It's a bug of this version ??
remove Gnome Color Chooser and gtk2-module-rgba: sudo apt-get remove gtk2-module-rgba gnome-color-chooser
Modified by grafxlut
I use Windows 7 and I have a solution. I had this problem as well where no videos would play and the thumbnails weren't visible either.
My solution: I fixed it by disabling Flash from the add-ons menu and I also reset the preferences by going through the default pathway: C:\Users\Owner(or whatever your username is)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default.
I also disabled hardware acceleration by going to a random video that used flash (I went to a game that plays an advertisement before loading and right clicked it, clicked settings..., and then went to the display settings [first icon on the bottom], and unchecked the hardware acceleration box).
After doing all of this, everything was fine. I was able to play an entire video with nothing messing up and was very happy so hopefully this helps!
I use Windows Vista, Mozilla Fire Fox 8.0 this problem has been very annoying to me . . . but I did the following: 1) Cleared the Cache. 2) Clear all youtube cookies. 3) Update Shockwave plug-in. 4) Update Flash Player plug-in. 5) Cancel Hardware Acceleration. 6) Finally I upgraded Fire Fox from 8.0 to 12.
Then reloaded youtube page . . . every thing worked just FINE . . .