Cannot print from Firefox 3.6.15 on mac osx 10.5.8
I just upgraded to Firefox 3.6.15 and can't print from my Mac (OSX 10.5.8). I can't print to the printer, PDF or to Preview. I have no problems printing from Safari or other applications. I double checked my printer settings and all are working well.
Is this a known bug and is there a fix on the way? Anyone know a work around? I've installed the "Open In Safari" plugin but this doesn't help when I am printing from a password protected site - the image I'm trying to print will not carry over even after logging in on Safari.
This is causing a big disruption since much of my work is compatible only on Firefox and I need to print from it. Any help or tips are appreciated!
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I upgraded to 3.6.13 and still in 3.6.15
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Gecko default plugin
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Coupons Inc. Plugin
- Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.17.3 http://www.musicnotes.com
- Plugin for viewing Sibelius(tm) music scores http://www.sibelius.com
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15
Mac OSX 10.5.8
The following worked for me: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/684867
"Problem: I had the same problem but with mac osx 10.5.8, Firefox 3.6.6 sometimes prints and sometimes does not, but the preview was always blank and I could not save to pdf file.
Solution: I downloaded Firefox 3.5.10, installed it on my desktop and opened it, tried print preview and it worked, quit Firefox 3.5.10 and ran 3.6.6 and voila! print preview is working fine and I can save to pdf fine.
I guess running 3.5.10 fixes the profile in a certain way. I have no idea how that happened but it worked."
Modified by benshaine
benshaine- that worked! Thank you so much!!
I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 Canon MX870 printer. I too had the print preview (nothing on page when I hit print preview) problem. And printer page printed nothing on the page when I actually hit print button. I reloaded printer with printer disc, checked my router. Upgraded to Firefox 3.9? then tried 4.0 upgrade to fix print problem, then upgraded to 4.1 None worked. Until I read other peoples print problems----Have spent 2 days off and on this problem. Finally in reading one of the answers someone stated: install Firefox version 3.5.10. I did and IT WORKED!!! Thank you very much for the advice. To find older version. Click into Firefox "Search box", type in "Firefox versions" and it will give you a list of ALL the versions of Firefox. Find your version -there are a lot!! Good Luck!!! at least I can sleeps knowing this is fixed now!!!
benshaine is correct. I was able to find Firefox 3.5.19, since I had saved the dmg before I uploaded to newer versions. The bug is in Firefox, it is not in Mac OS 10.5.8. . Using Firefox 3.5.19 I can "Print" as before to the printer, to PDF, or to Preview.
1) Go to Print Preview 2) Print 3) Name: HP PSC 2100 series (depend on your printer) 4) Properties... 5) Paper size: letter 6) Change to Paper size: A6 7) OK 8) Repeat step 4 again 9) Change back again Paper size: letter 10) OK 11) Don't print, but go back to Print Preview again and see if it works
This is the one that have work for me after trying several times modifying about:config with no success. Good luck and hope that will help.