My searches keep getting redirected to bogus websites
When I do a search (google, yahoo, etc), I get the search results page but if I click on the link I am redirected to some other site. so I must have some malware on my computer. If instead, I copy and paste the website address into the address bar, it takes me to the correct website. I have run scans with both Norton Anti-Virus and Malware Bytes and both say that my PC is clean. What do I do?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
A few days ago
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.1
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- IE Tab 2 Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin module
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 103
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Default Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1240
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Google Update
- Version 0.9.17, copyright 2008-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.18, Copyright 2006-2009 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.18, copyright 2006-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) PBSTB/1.2
That can be caused by Malware or a Rootkit. As good as Malwarebytes is, it doesn't catch everything. This is the standard recommendation for dealing with Malware.
Install, update, and run these programs in this order. They are listed in order of efficacy.
(Not all programs detect the same Malware, so you may need to run them all to solve your problem.)
These programs are all free for personal use, but some have limited functionality in the "free mode" - but those are features you really don't need to find and remove the problem that you have.
Note: If your Malware infection is bad enough and you are mis-directed to URL's other than what is posted, you may have to use a different PC to download these programs and use a USB stick to transfer them to the afflicted PC.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
SuperAntispyware - http://www.superantispyware.com/
AdAware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Windows Defender: Home Page - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/prod.../default.mspx
Also, if you have a search engine re-direct problem, see this:
If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized help:
Thank you - I will try that and advise the results