Why can't I open new tabs in my browser?
When I click on the + symbol next to the tab I am working in, Firefox should open a new tab. However, this function no longer works in my Firefox browser. What do I need to do to open new tabs again?
Try uninstalling the Ask toolbar and it should work again. There is a compatibility issue with the Ask toolbar and the current version of Firefox.Read this answer in context 12
Additional System Details
- Sling Player Plug-In for Mozilla
- Citrix ICA Client Plugin (Win32)
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.2"
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Google Update
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- My Web Search Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101203 AskTbPSI/184.108.40.20690 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
Try uninstalling the Ask toolbar and it should work again. There is a compatibility issue with the Ask toolbar and the current version of Firefox.
Thanks a lot! That works. I'm not sure when I even installed the Ask toolbar b/c I wasn't displaying it and certainly wasn't using it. I appreciate your help!
This was very helpful: go to browser options in the General settings tab, at the bottom is the Manage Add-ons click on that link, look for the ASK toolbar add-on and uninstall. Then restart browser. I was elated the tabs work again.
Modified by ehayman