How do I extract my bookmarks from a copy of Firefox on another hard drive?
My main computer died. Apparently power surge fried power supply and mother board. The hard drive was removed and using a USB adaptor I was able to copy the c-drive contents to an external back-up drive. I need the bookmarks file from the version on the crashed system. I have yet been able to figure out a way to access the file. My latest try was to re-name the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program files on this computer and transfer the same folder from the crashed system hard drive. When I booted Firefox, the same bookmarks as ever on this computer,,,, HELP!!!
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
When the computer crashed.
- npmnqmp 07103010
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
If I cannot boot the version of Firefox containing the desired bookmarks, how can I export the bookmarks?
The bookmarks are not stored in the same place as the program. They are stored in a file called places.sqlite in the profile folder. For details of the location of that folder see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
The following link gives details of the files you can recover from an old profile - https://support.mozilla.com/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile