Firefox won't print Web Pages just allows me to save as PDF Files
Firefox won't allow me to print a Web Page. The only option I am given is to Save the Web Page as a PDF File which is not always what I want. It is very annoying as I consider Firefox to be a good browser with lots of features.
When I try to Print emails in Hotmail I get the same option even though I use the Print Button within Hotmail. This only happened recently and I have also tried Firefox Beta four with the same result. Internet Explorer which I don't really like has no print problems I can print Web Page using my Default Printer or Save to a PDF file PDF Printers I have. Anyone out there can help as this problem is driving me mad and Firefox has no help for this. Thank you.
Modified by williamghenry
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I wanted to Print any Web Pages or Hotmail emails
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- TelevisionFanatic Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Version 1.1.7, copyright 1996-2011 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b11) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b11
File > Print = is your printer selected in the Printer - Name box??
What is the point in editing a 1 week old posting, and not answering my question?
As I asked a week ago, is your printer selected for printing when you are using Firefox?
Just because it works in IE doesn't mean your setting for the printer to be used by Firefox is set correctly in Firefox. Firefox saves its' own preferences for printing, it doesn't go by "system defaults" for everything.
Check on the print set-up page that the save to file box is not ticked.If it is remove it,had similar prob´ this cleared it.
I find your answer a little bit patronising. My main problem is that Firefox won't let me choose my printer. When trying to print something I am not given a choice of which printer to use just a choice to save the Web Page to a PDF File. I have tried using about:config where there are a lot of printer settings including my Print to PDF Printers. I convert Web Pages that I want to save to PDF Files. My default printer worked with Firefox app. 10 days ago and then I couldn't print using my default printer . I am not a Computer Novice and I would appreciate any futher suggestions not patronising ones.
Patronizing or not, I asked you a pertinent question about your problem a week ago and instead answering that question, you edited your original posting without even acknowledging that someone attempted to help you.
If you are not able to select a different printer in the Printer - Name box and the KB article I linked doesn't help you solve that problem, try a new Profile.
I solved it for myself: it was my HP smart-web printer crap that was a plug in and add on for firefox that somehow automatically got installed when I upgraded to 5. I disabled both in the add-ons manager, and voila, printing is working.
It seems there are many things, like this and the Google toolbar, that were screwed by the oddly fast update to 5. Looks like Mozilla didn't give anybody any notice! Must've been some really bad security hole.
Thank you very much. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that.