How do I stop irritating flashing adverts appearing within a web page e.g. my hotmail account has Virgin ads, cornflake ads flashing on right hand side of my emails.
I have used Firefox for a couple of years and then recently it was uninstalled by mistake. I have installed it but found that I am getting adverts flashing on the pages of websites which I know can be turned off. I have already turned them off via Tools, Options and Block Pop Up Windows and have not given any exceptions. When I go onto websites and also into my hotmail emails I find that now I have reinstalled firefox, like in IE, I am still getting adverts playing on the page. I know these can be stopped but the person who did this for me a couple of years ago is no longer around. Please can you advise? I would be really grateful for your help.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Since I reinstalled Firefox
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Winamp Application Detector
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
I have already ticked the Block Pop Up Windows under Tools and Options but adverts still flash next to what I am reading on various websites
I use the Adblock Plus add-on to block ads. When you install it, you will be asked to add a filter set, the filter set is used to decide what is blocked. I use the EasyList filter set. You can get Adblock Plus from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
Tony - I just want to say thank you for helping me out with thad advert problem. I've gone in and out of my hotmail account a few times and no adverts beside my emails so far!! Phew, thank goodness!! Thanks again, really appreciate the help. Toni.