Way to add extra search boxes to toolbar?
Anyone know a way to add extra search boxes to the toolbar so I don;t have to keep switching between my most used engines?
Additional System Details
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Octoshape Streaming Services web integration browser plug-in
- Picasa plugin.
- RealPlayer Plugin
- DivX Content Upload Plug-In: Uploads DivX video in your browser!
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0.0
- InstantAction.com Mac Plugin
- Used for supporting web links for Hulu Desktop.
- Unity Web Player lets you experience dazzling interactive 3D right in your browser. For more information, visit Unity .
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- The QuakeLive Plugin is required for QuakeLive
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Version 188.8.131.521
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.5
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
■ see Use the Search bar in Firefox
I am not a Mac user, and menus may vary slightly but to add search engines to the sarch bar
- click the down arrow on left of search bar and use -> Manage Search Engines
- note extensions may be available that could help with searches
- if you are on a site with a search feature you may be able to add that (eg this site has a firefox support search bar )
■ Search boxes on toolbar
One method would be to bookmark whatever search engines you use . those bookmarks may then be added somewhere useful such as to the bookmarks toolbar. Note you can bookmark specific searches. Some other firefox features may also be useful
I am trying to duplicate the search box, so I can have one set to Google, one set to Wikipedia, etc. so all I have to do is click in the box and start typing.
Did you read the articles I linked to . Try the following:
- Just open the search in a tab.
- Bookmark that tab
- Add that tab on the bookmarks toolbar
(that allows you to open it with one mouse click)
- If you wish add a keyword, eg 'g' for google
- Now if you go to the location bar,
- either by mouse or by Ctrl+L
- type g this string into your location bar and hit return it will do a Google search for this string.
- repeat steps 1-4 for each search engine but use a different letter eg w for Wiki
I am not aware that we are able to duplicate the search bar, on toolbars. But There is probably some way of modifying firefox to allow that. Possibly firefox 4 is slightly more flexible, it seems to allow toolbars to be expanded to double height for instance.
Meanwhile the solution above is close to what you are trying to do, it merely requires you to type one additional letter, but use the location bar instead of the search bar.