superfish.com has hijacked my browser! How can I get rid of them
Every page I load superfish.com is down in my status bar (lower url) slowing me down and making me paranoid. What info are they stealing from me who gave them the right to track me and how do I get rid of them? I love Firefox but I am thinking of trying another ubuntu friendly browser just to get away from these stalkers!!!
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
- The Totem 2.30.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.2 (6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)) executes Java applets.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20101206 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.13
Windows Shopper which uses superfish has been included in some add-ons. Try running Firefox in Firefox safe mode, this will disable add-ons and can be used to see if an add-on is causing the problem. If you do not get it in safe mode, follow the procedure in the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article to identify the culprit.
Something you downloaded/installed added the shopper price comparison service from Superfish. Always read about anything that you download or install and check for "extras" or items with an opt-out feature.
Info about Superfish: http://www.superfish.com/
Note: Recently, the developer of the IE Tab Plus extension for Firefox added Superfish to the installation; some consider Superfish as spyware. A version if IE Tab Plus without Superfish can be installed from:
- Uninstall existing IE Tab Plus, restart Firefox, then install from the above link
- Discussion about IE Tab Plus/Superfish: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2014247
Helper7677, the OP is using Linux, they will not have IE Tab Plus.
I found another hijacker add-on; it's Page Tweak. If you have it, www.superfish.com will intercede and not allow graphics to appear on Photobucket, rendering it useless. Hope this helps someone, as this problem has plagued me for weeks.
Do what TonyE recommends, as that's how I found it. It's definitely an add-on.
If you have the calculator plug-in installed, open it's options menu and disable the similar products service, or just uninstall it and use something else. If not, type about:config in the address bar and in the filter box type superfish, this should hopefully give you some idea as to which plug-in is causing the problem.