This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
How di I uninstall FF Blocked Add-ons?
FF has disabled a couple of Add-ons and I am unable to uninstall or otherwise remove them. How do I get rid of this useless clutter?
I was able to remove the Bing Bar using Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. It also removed the Search Extension that had been installed with Bing Bar and was also grayed out.Read this answer in context 👍 2
All Replies (14)
What version of FF are you using?
Did you just update to 4.0B8?
The version is listed on the last line of each post listing. Also, look at the User-agent at the bottom of "More system details..." to the right of the OP's question.
I am using 3.6.13 on a Windows 7 laptop running Home Premium. Apparently, the laptop came with some preconfigured tools like the Bing Bar, etc. I used Sync to get the same layout, etc. as on my desktop PC running Win XP Pro (on which I have no problems) FF blocked the Bing Bar addon and another one. They are disabled and all of the buttons are grayed out and inoperative. I would just like to eliminate them to remove the clutter. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
I think some bing extensions were blocked after advice from Microsoft. The first reply from the-edmeister explains how to do the manual uninstall, just click the link in that message and follow the instructions. If you run into problems explain what they are.
Note if you do want to uninstall the blocked addons
- it may help if you try from firefox whilst in Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode
- you may well need to be in an administrator type of account
- in some circumstances security software blocks some changes, the security software may need disabling
- if you are doing the manual uninstall you will almost certainly have to be in an administrator account, and you will presumably need to be able to see system and hidden folders.
( some of the above are guesses, as I am an XP user)
I'm a bit confused. Both these add-ons are already disabled. The buttons for Uninstall, Enable and Options are all grayed out, leaving me with no way to uninstall or remove them. Do I have to live with these 2 add-ons forever? Thanks again.
From reading the posts and links, in this current thread, it would appear likely that you are able to either
- disable in firefox, but leave similar features on Internet Explorer OR
- remove from both IE & FF in which case the entries in FF will disappear.
But it appears you will need to use the manual uninstall method shown in
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions_Uninstall#Uninstalling_manually to try to remove manually from firefox only OR
- the methods in Removing the Search Helper Extension and Bing Bar which will remove the items from your Windows programs, and both browsers.
I was able to remove the Bing Bar using Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. It also removed the Search Extension that had been installed with Bing Bar and was also grayed out.
This did the trick! After uninstalling Bing Bar in Add/Remove Programs (or in my case Programs/Features in Windows 7) Not only did the Bing add-on disappear, but so did the blocked search add-on.
I want to remove bing bar add on extention. Its not in my add/remove (well it was but had to go to safe mode to remove it) but its still in my add ons in fire fox. I managed to rid the search helper by deleting a couple files and thats gone on my add on extention. if anybody knows where the bing bar files are please post them here
but what im seeing here reading these boards some folks dont have it in their add and remove programs. there has to be some sort of files stashed about. i found 2 files to remove the search helper extension and that was gone from my add on extensions. Im trying to find more info to remove bing bar 5.0 in the add on extension. There is no uninstall option
problem solved on my end bing bar add on is gone thatnks everybody