Firefox doesn't block pop ups with Windows 7, how do I fix this?
I just got a new laptop, which came with Windows 7. Ever since I downloaded Firefox to this new laptop, Adblock Plus and Firefox's general pop up blocker refuse to work and I'm constantly getting pop ups. Is there any way to fix this?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I got a laptop with Windows 7.
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12
I looked over the pop ups not blocked page on mozilla's site, and it didn't help.
Do a malware check with a few malware scan programs.
You need to use all programs because each detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked and What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website
Yeah, all that did was clutter my system with anti-spyware. I don't have a spy/malware problem. I have firefox's pop up blocker on and adblock plus. I shouldn't be getting pop ups, yet I am.
As I didn't have this problem when I was using Windows XP, I can only assume it's an incapability with Windows 7 that I would have assumed Firefox would have fixed in the YEAR they've had to work with Windows 7. If there aren't any patches or fixes for this problem, just say so and I'll deal. If, however, there are fixes, I'd love to know them.
The Firefox pop-up blocker works fine on Windows 7 systems.
Are you sure you don't have another, less effective pop-up blocker installed as part of a security suite that is thwarting the Firefox pop-up blocker?
New PC's tend to come with all sorts of "trial" programs these days, and some of the "trial" security programs may not get turned off when you think you turned them off. All that you accomplish is to turn-off the user interface while the program keeps running in the background.
If I had any idea what type of programs would do that, I'd look. But since I don't know what the hell I'm looking for....no clue. Only pop up blocker on my system I found was for IE and since I don't USE IE, it's useless.
i had the same problem and went to control panel, looked through all the programs and when i deleted liveplay i got rid of the pop ups so hope this helps.
I actually found that the problem went away on its own after the 4.0 upgrade.