Firefox hangs when I click the mouse on the vertical scroll bar to drag it.
Firefox hangs when I click the mouse on the page in various places. It happens several times a day. I usually don't remember what I clicked on because the Windows 7 cursor starts spinning and Firefox usually responds soon. However, sometimes it never responds. The last time, it was because I clicked on the vertical scroll bar to drag it. The only thing I can do is to open the Task Manager and End Task. What can I do? email@example.com
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
When I installed version 3.6, previous versions were okay.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.0"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12
I have reinstalled Firefox and it still hangs several times a day. I have anti-virus software. I have SeaMonkey which works well. I have IE that works. It appears that my only remaining choice is to uninstall Firefox forever.
When I close Firefox normally and then open Firefox, it apologizes and wants to Restore:
"Well, this is embarrassing.
Restore Windows and Tabs
Restore or Start New Session"
Firefox should be embarrassed for wanting to recover pages I closed.
Maybe that's why it hangs.
I don't know how to stop it from being embarrassed.
I have a similar problem. Sometimes FIREFOX just hangs. Usually the screen somewhat 'whites out' like it is washed out. I have also seen this in OUTLOOK. Anyway it seems to be happening more often.
I am a knowledgeable PC User. I am about to stop using Firefox.
Yes, my screen fades too.
Exactly the same on both issues on a similar configured computer. Clicking and dragging the scrollbar often causes large delays and sometimes hangs. Hangs are less frequent with other clicks, but happen occasionally. Presence of images on the page seems to aggravate the issue. Also often get the faded look when scrolling or when going to the next page on, e.g., Google. It usually clears up but sometimes takes as much as 10 seconds or more, and sometimes hangs completely. The only common feature I've noticed in offending pages is presence of images.
Since I have been paying more attention now, I find that there is no pattern to it hanging. Sometimes I click on something and other times I just move the mouse. It can happen when I first open Firefox and when it's been open a while. Sometimes on the first page and sometimes when I go to another page. It must be a live bug to be that random. It happens nearly every time I use Firefox. Many times each day. I have now found that, if I leave it hanging and go away, it finally finishes what ever it wanted to do. It definitely takes many minutes.