What is Chrome
My system slows down and eventually I get an unresponsive script with a name that starts with Chrome. When I do a search I find I have 7 chrome.manifest files, 8 chrome folders (1 is a shortcut), one chrome.rdf file and two userchrome-example.css files. What is chrome? Why do I have so many? What causes the slowdowns?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Around the first of August
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 8.2.4
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Picasa plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
I have XP Pro, FF 3.6.8, TB 3.1.2, extensions:BetterPrivacy 1.48.3, Launchy 4.4.0 and YesScript 1.7 plus several others which I have disabled.
We'll need the full error message to provide specific help.
Creating a new profile may cause the error to go away. You can find directions on creating a new profile https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles#Creating_a_profile
If that helps then use http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile to get back your bookmarks and other personal settings.
The word chrome is a generic term "The basic structural elements used in a graphical user interface, such as window frames and scroll bars, as opposed to the content." dfn 2 of http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chrome
The chrome files you have found are needed for Firefox to function correctly. Please do not remove them.
Modified by kbrosnan
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).