wmv files not playing within firefox 4.4 windows 7 with wmp12
Im using windows 7 ultimate with firefox 4 beta 4. I am able to view wmv files in IE8, but i am unable to play the same in ff. It asks me to download a plug in and then asks me to download windows media player 11. I already have a full version of windows media player 12 on my system so why is it asking me to download an older version? Also, i am unable to find any updated plugins for the same which works or is applicable for ff 4 beta and windows 7.
Do let me know how i can fix this problem.
Additional System Details
- Version 184.108.40.206
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.2
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 220.127.116.11
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0b4) Gecko/20100818 Firefox/4.0b4
wmv files not playing within ff 4.
WMP does not include the plugin used by Firefox. You can download the plugin from http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx
If after running the setup file for the plugin, Firefox 4 beta can still not access WMP, you will need to copy the plugin into the Firefox 4 installation directory.
You will then need to create a folder called plugins inside the Firefox 4 beta installation directory. The default location for the installation is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 4\
Create a folder inside that location called plugins
If you are having trouble finding where Firefox 4 has been installed, you can right-click on the shortcut you use to start Firefox 4 and choose Properties, the location where it is installed will be on the General tab.
Search your computer for a file called np-mswmp.dll, copy this file into the newly created plugins folder.
@ tonyE thanks you its working now
I did everything as recommended with zero succes ! However in my case the FireFox 4 beta version installer turned out Minefield 4.0b8pre. Does that fact make any difference? The installation directories are completely different from those mentionened in your post ! Please help.
Modified by rava1reg
I installed several time the plugin but can't find np-mswmp.dll to copy in folder plugins.thanks a.
done !! it did not have that name the file to be copied , but the firefox logo. thanks
For those using Windows 7 and the Firefox 4 beta builds or Firefox 3.6, an alternative way to get the WMP plugin is to install the HTML5 Extension for Windows Media Player Firefox Plug-in available from http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/html5-extension-for-wmp-plugin
This is a new extension released by Microsoft a few weeks ago, as well as installing the plugin it adds some new functionality to the plugin, see the above link for details.
@ TonyE: Not compatible with Firefox 4.0-final, but it was worth a try. Thanks, anyway. (Windows Home Premium 64, Firefox 4.0 final)
Modified by barq