BearShare has taken over browser page. How do I get rid of it?
I stupidly download BearShare. I have uninstalled it in all the usual places but it has taken over the firefox opening page of Google with a BearShare one. The problem is not on the laptop I am using but on a new Acer laptop with Windows 7. Help!
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- Google Update
- Picasa plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
I am not computer literate enough to know the URL
Now I'm not sure what to do.
I did some very quick research for you. BearShare is apparently a legit program but many of the sites that allow you to download it attach malware, adware, etc. to it. BearShare itself the way you describe it sounds like it has an automatic reinstall feature similar to AOL services that never seem to leave your computer no matter how hard you try.
First I would uninstall the BearShare program and run a registry editors cleaner. Either use Microsofts and/or use the Comodo System Cleaner which can be found here ( http://www.comodo.com/home/support-maintenance/system-cleaner.php ). I have found the Comodo System cleaner works well and is FREE. (I am impressed enough I will probably switch to their products when my Norton 360 expires for security.) I would also do a full system scan with your security software to see if they detect the malware portions of the BearShare software you had on your computer.
Then reboot and see if that got rid of it. If it didn't I would uninstall again and try to find out where it is reinstalling itself. AOL had that feature and somehow I finally found it and I had a problem with HP printer errors where uninstalling and reinstalling did not work so I uninstalled both AOL and HP then went into the Registry Editor files (regedit) and cleaned out / deleted anything that had AOL or HP letters together, as well as every single file folder anywhere on the computer. Once I did those things, AOL is gone for good (finally), I reinstalled the newest version of software for my HP All-in-one printer and it is finally working again the way it was originally intended.
They all say going into registry editor files is dangerous, but I think that's just because these malware companies all hide their re-occurrence items in there so they never go away.
how can i get back all my tabs and get rid of bearshare?
Try to run Malwarebytes (an anti-spyware program) in Windows Safe Mode to see if it can detect any virus or spywares that were not detected in the Normal Mode.
Be careful when you work with registries. If you don't know what are you doing, you can mess up your computer and it will not work properly.
go to about:config page in firefox and reset all settings that has bearshare in value to default, by right clicking that settings item and then Reset popup menu item. Go to Tools->Options and then below Home Page: controls click button, Restore To Default.
I'm not sure about this one but I had to do it, go to Tools->Add-ons then Extensions tab, then disable extension titled DataMngr, and that should be all, it worked for me.
Modified by blackuprise
The safest and most thorough way of cleaning it out of your system is to download Revo Uninstaller, run it in advanced mode and press delete all when prompted. Do NOT go messing about in your registry unless you are a real expert. The other way is to go into system restore and tell your computer to restore to a date & time before you downloaded Bearshare. Just remember that any software you installed since that date will be deleted so back it up first. Good luck. Bearshare is a pain in the Jacksy!
You need to uninstall mediabar
It's an easy mistake to make, I did it myself some while back and it was a real pain to remove. Don't worry, it is not full of malware but it will take over everything you try to do. You have 3 options:
1. Install Revo Uninstaller freeware version - http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html - this is the BEST uninstaller program I have ever used, far better than the one that comes with Windows 7. When you have downloaded and saved the file then run it in Advanced Mode. This will tell the Bearshare program to uninstall itself and then afterwards will seek out any leftover files, which is usual with most programs and most definitely will be true of Bearshare. When it has done this it will present you with its findings and ask you what you want to do. Check the box that highlights ALL its findings and then press the Delete button. Revo will then seek again and present any other leftover debris and you must go through the same procedure of Highlighting and deleting ALL items. Revo should then tell you that Bearshare has successfully uninstalled Bearshare. Revo is very simple to use and I recommend using it to remove any programs that you don't want, always in Advanced Mode. In the unlikely event that you should find that Bearshare remains then I advise step 2 : Try System Restore. This will take your computer back to the time before you installed Bearshare. Verify the date you installed Bearshare by this sequence: Left click the Start Button/ Computer/ Local Disc (C:)/ Program Files. Locate Bearshare and look at the Date Modified. If you can't find it this way then right click on the Bearshare icon and then left click on Folder Location which will take you to where the Bearshare program is kept. Make a note of the Date Modified. When you have this date you then need to activate System Restore. Left click Start Button/ Control Panel/ System and Security/ Action Centre/ Restore your computer to an earlier time/ Open System Restore. Choose the restore point you require, it MUST be before the time and date you installed Bearshare, so refer to your note of the Date Modified. Just remember that once activated, System Restore will remove any other programs you installed after this restore point so make a note of these as you will have to re-install them once completed. It will NOT remove anything else so your personal files are safe. It will ONLY remove software. Once activated System Restore cannot be stopped so it is important that you follow these instructions carefully. All of this can seem quite daunting if you are unsure what to do but it is all a lot simpler than it sounds. If neither of these options work then you will have to perform option 3 which is to perform System Recovery which must ONLY be used in the event that neither of the previous options worked. This means cleaning everything off your hard drive and re-setting your computer to exactly how it was when you bought it by means of the System Recovery Disk that came with your computer. This requires a lot more preparation as you have to back-up (copy) everything that you don't want to lose, ie personal files, software, settings etc. Obviously you don't want to back-up Bearshare so these things will have to be done individually. My advice is to not concern yourself with option 3 until you have tried 1 & 2 first. If you still have problems after that then post again and it will come through to my e-mail. Don't worry, it WILL be sorted it's just one of those annoying things that we all go through. I hope this is clear and helps you to sort it out. Good luck. :)
guys and girls suffering a "bearshare pc takeover".... heres the answer!... when you open up your start up page and (bearshare start page opens) click on the bearshare address (right click) you will have a little notice asking you do you wish to Edit search engines, click on this!!!!!..... and there you find "bearshare" has been made your default browser, (delete bearshare) and re-instate what ever your prefered browser was,, hope this helps, it worked for me!!