Why is Firefox running in the Background even after I close the browser completely ? it even consumes 35-55k memory un-necessarily. why is it so? it does not happen with other browsers. Please look into this ASAP. reply at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been observing this for quite some time now. In fact ever since I upgraded to Firefox 3.6.X versions. After I close the Firefox browser completely and after some time (any time before I totally shut down my PC ), I try to open Firefox browser, then I get an error message saying Firefox is already running in the background". Then I go and check the processes using Task manager and I am surprised to Firefox running in the back ground utilizing memory to the range of 35 -62k ( as I observed) . I am not sure why would a browser be running after I close/ exit out of it completely ?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
after I close firefox and re-open /launch after some time.
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Version 188.8.131.52
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.2
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 103
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 220.127.116.11
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Virtual Earth 3D 4.00090316005 plugin for Mozilla
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- RayV Plugin
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Version 0.9.17, copyright 2008-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.17, Copyright 2006-2009 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.17, copyright 2006-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- NPVeohVersion4 plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
go and end the process ( via task manager and then launch Firefox. this is the only workaround I have so far
Note: Do not post your e-mail address. We do not send responses by e-mail. Questions are answered only in the forum so that other users may benefit from solutions to the problem you are having with Firefox.
Hanging at exit:
- Stop the running process: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Kill_application
- Reasons for hanging at exit: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_at_exit
Most often hanging at exit is caused by Extensions, maybe plugins. Try Firefox Safe Mode; don't check any items, just click "Continue to Safe Mode". http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode
If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, disable Extensions and Plugins, one at a time or up to one half at a time, restart Firfox after each change. Narrow down until you find the problem:
Modified by Helper7677