How do I move my cookies from one computer to another, same as moving bookmarks?
I have bought a new computer. Exporting my bookmarks so as to put them into Firefox in the new computer is easy. But there is stuff in my cookies that I also want - passwords, preferences, etc. How do I move my cookies, rather than having to re-enter all of that information whenever I go to the websites on my new computer?
Additional System Details
- Version 18.104.22.168
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.2
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 8.2.3
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 126.96.36.199
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
I think I figured it out. I found this: On Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, profile folders are in this location, by default: • %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder> %APPDATA% is a variable that represents the C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>Application Data folder on Windows 2000/XP and the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming folder on Windows Vista/7. Both of these folders are hidden by default.
To find profile folders in the default location: 1. Press "Windows key + R" to open the Run box (or, you can click "Start → Run..." on Windows 2000/XP) 2. In the Run box, type in %APPDATA% 3. Click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear. 4. In this window, choose Mozilla → Firefox → Profiles. Each folder in the "Profiles" folder (e.g., "xxxxxxxx.default") is a profile on your computer.
You might have to doubleclick on the profile where your cookies are. Then find this file: cookies.sqlite
Copy it, put it on a disk or email it to yourself or something. Then simply copy it into the same location on the new computer.
At least I hope this works. I haven't tried it yet.
Tried it, it didn't work. Any ideas? It insists that I need to be an administrator to copy the file into my Firefox folder. I am an administrator of my computer, so I'm not sure what the problem is.