I'm getting unwanted tabs popping up in firefox. How can I prevent this?
New tabs are appearing at random times in my Firefox window. I can leave firefox open, and come back to the computer and have new tabs that have appeared. I can be actively working in another tab, and have a new tab appear. I think this started when a game from popcapgames.com was downloaded to my machine. This game was not ever run on the machine - as far as the downloader will admit. I tried to access Spybot Search & Destroy from this machine, and I suspected that I was not getting the correct site, but a forgery instead. I used a different machine to get Spybot onto a memory stick and installed it onto my machine. I've run it several times, and it has removed considerable amounts of spyware from this machine. But, I'm still getting unwanted Tabs popping up. I've verified that the pop-up blocker is still set in firefox.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
a game from popcapgames.com was downloaded
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 126.96.36.199
- Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.17.3 For more information visit Musicnotes.com
- Google Update
- Version 0.9.17, copyright 2008-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.17, Copyright 2006-2009 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Version 0.9.17, copyright 2006-2010 Veetle Inchttp://www.veetle.com/
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Hopefully this support article is what you need:
My new tabs always have misleading ads in them. They are not blank, so the above article does not seem to apply.
I strongly suspect malware. I've used Spybot Search & Destroy, but it has not solved this problem. Is there another malware detector that can fix this problem?
Do a malware check with a few malware scan programs.
You need to use all programs because each detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
If you can't fix it with the above listed scanners then you need to ask advise on one of the forums that specialize in malware removal mentioned in the Popups_not_blocked article.