can't uninstall firefox
firefox has bugged my computer. i can't search. get redirected to useless sites. won't uninstall.
Every time Firefox opened
== last couple of weeks
Additional System Details
- -Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100713 Firefox/3.6.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
firefox is buggy. won't go to proper sites. redirects to useless search sites. won't uninstall
Please read this article:
Also see Uninstalling Firefox- MozillaZine KB
Just spent the morning uninstalling firefox manually(would not uninstall thru control panel). Reinstalled Firefox 12. STILL cant make GMAIL work. GMAIl works fine in Chrome and IE. - I guess Mizilla doesn't support XP anymore.... Anyway, I am permanently deleting, manually, Firefox from my systems. Any software that will not uninstall does not get to live on my companies computers...
Firefox 12 does support XP, so we can help you get gmail working with Firefox if you'd like :)
Try to start Firefox in Safe mode. This mode disables all extensions, user customizations, hardware acceleration, etc. temporarily for diagnostic and troubleshooting. If Firefox works fine in Safe Mode, then this is likely an add-on issue. Restart Firefox in normal mode, then type "About:addons" (without the quotes) in the address bar. Disable your extensions one by one, restarting Firefox between each one, until you find the trouble maker. Once you do, you can disable that add-on and report the issue to that add-on's developer.
Thanks for this advice, but it does not seem to address my fundamental concern: Firefox will not Uninstall. I understand that complex software gets corrupted or compromised; -that is my logic for n uninstall/reinstall of the original codebase. When a software package will no longer perform the elementary functiona;ity of uninstalling itself, my confidence in that software ends.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked