"Firefox will: Never remember history", but still does in "Recently Closed Tabs/Windows"
Why when I set "Firefox will: Never remember history", Firefox still remembers it in "Recently Closed Tabs/Windows"? I don't want to restart my browser. Also, having this setting enabled disables the "Start Private Browsing" feature. Ain't that odd? I could even go as far as accusing Firefox of double standards ;)
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Why when I set "Firefox will: Never remember history", Firefox still remembers it in "Recently Closed Tabs/Windows"? I don't want to restart my browser
If you set "Firefox will: Never remember history" then you enter Private Browsing mode immediately. You can see a grayed "Tools > Stop Private Browsing" to confirm that. This doesn't affect already stored History, but Firefox won't add new visited links to the History. If you want to remove sites from the History then you need to do that yourself.
You can (temporarily) set the pref browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo to 0 to clear the Recently Closed Tabs list. Use the Reset context menu item to re-enable Undo Closed Tabs with the default value if you want to re-use that feature.
You can temporarily set the pref browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo to 0 to reset the Recently Closed Windows list, However there appears to be always one window left that is only removed if you close and restart Firefox. You can avoid that by closing all tabs before closing the window with only an empty tab left. Set the pref browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab to false on the about:config page to prevent closing the last tab from closing the browser.