X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

Firefox user agent has an empty parentheses "( )" at the end

Posted

We've noticed that some users hitting our website have an empty ( ) at the end of their user agent string. This is typically where the .net framework asst version info is. We only see it with the latest generation of firefox, 3.6.3, 3.5.9, etc. It seems to have started or gotten much worse around 4/26. Here is an example - "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 ( )" Anyone have any idea what changed? - Thanks

== roughly 4/26

We've noticed that some users hitting our website have an empty ( ) at the end of their user agent string. This is typically where the .net framework asst version info is. We only see it with the latest generation of firefox, 3.6.3, 3.5.9, etc. It seems to have started or gotten much worse around 4/26. Here is an example - "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 ( )" Anyone have any idea what changed? - Thanks == roughly 4/26

Additional System Details

Installed Plug-ins

  • -npmnqmp 989898989877
  • Default Plug-in
  • Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
  • The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
  • Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.17.0 For more information visit Musicnotes.com
  • Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
  • Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
  • Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
  • 3.0.40818.0
  • BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
  • Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers
  • DRM Netscape Network Object
  • Npdsplay dll
  • DRM Store Netscape Plugin

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100315 Firefox/3.5.9

More Information

Chris Ilias
  • Moderator
354 solutions 1939 answers

Go to about:config. In the filter field, type agent. You should get a list of preferences that have agent in the name. Right-click on any bold ones, and select Reset.

Go to '''about:config'''. In the filter field, type '''agent'''. You should get a list of preferences that have ''agent'' in the name. Right-click on any bold ones, and select '''Reset'''.
the-edmeister
  • Top 25 Contributor
  • Moderator
5395 solutions 40083 answers

That's not going to do him any good, the problem is with visitors to his website and the UA log file on the server.

Kendall, I have no idea why that would happen. AFAIK nothing was changed in Firefox recently to cause that, and we don't see that ( ) happening in the UserAgent strings that are displayed here at the start of each thread. Plus, I don't see that happening at the MozillaZine fora which displays the UA for every posting made there.

That's not going to do him any good, the problem is with visitors to his website and the UA log file on the server. Kendall, I have no idea why that would happen. AFAIK nothing was changed in Firefox recently to cause that, and we don't see that '''( )''' happening in the UserAgent strings that are displayed here at the start of each thread. Plus, I don't see that happening at the MozillaZine fora which displays the UA for every posting made there.

Question owner

oops - didn't mean to post anonymously

the-edmeister is correct - thank you. The problem is not with my browser, but with some of our users. I'm still searching for the root cause here. We're coding around it but I hate not knowing. I reinstalled Firefox 3.6.3 today on XP and noticed that the microsoft .net framework assistant is disabled. I have an older install of 3.5.9 on windows 7 and on that version I can choose to disable it. This leads me to believe that there are some changes or development going on around this add-on that could account for our problem. I just need to find someone who knows the Firefox code that handles the user agent.

oops - didn't mean to post anonymously the-edmeister is correct - thank you. The problem is not with my browser, but with some of our users. I'm still searching for the root cause here. We're coding around it but I hate not knowing. I reinstalled Firefox 3.6.3 today on XP and noticed that the microsoft .net framework assistant is disabled. I have an older install of 3.5.9 on windows 7 and on that version I can choose to disable it. This leads me to believe that there are some changes or development going on around this add-on that could account for our problem. I just need to find someone who knows the Firefox code that handles the user agent.