When using Ancestry.com, original referance documents will not open in firefox, ie: opening original census documents.
When using Firefox on Ancestry.com web pages often times it is necessary to open and view an original document which is a link from the original page. That document will not open as it will with IE. Firefox tries to open the link but recycles without success.
URL of affected sites
Additional System Details
- -Image Control Plugin for viewing images on Ancestry.com. Version 188.8.131.52
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 5.00 for Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
no help/troubleshooting notice, the kink will just not connect.
Do you get any specific message when you click on this link? Also, when you go to it in IE, which program opens the document?
You should first check Firefox's setting for the document type in Tools->Options->Applications (Firefox->Preferences->Applications on Mac).
Here are some generic steps you can try in Firefox for issues where websites don't work:
- Bad item stored in the Browser Cache: Follow the steps at How to clear the Firefox cache.
- Bad cookie from the broken site: Clear cookies from the broken site by following the steps at Delete cookies to remove the information websites have stored on your computer.
- Plug-ins are outdated: check for outdated plugins on the plugin check page.
- Firewall software is blocking some resources on the page: see Configure firewalls so that Firefox can access the Internet
- An extension may be causing the problem: see Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
For other steps to try, see Web sites look wrong
Ancestry.com needs a special image viewer plugin for Firefox. The manner in which that plugin was installed in earlier versions of Firefox won't work in Firefox 3.6+, so whoever created that plugin would need to re-write that plugin to get it to be able to be installed.
That said, a Firefox user can still install that plugin manually using these instructions. http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/sab_answer.php?p_faqid=3809&p_sid=lxn4zZWj Forget the first two paragraphs, use the info under: How to install the Enhanced Imager Viewer manually in Firefox 3.X
That DLL you need is in this Zip file. http://c.ancestry.com/Affiliate/Knowledgebase/Images/Ancestry/npImgCtl.zip
I don't use Ancestry,com and can't test it. You'll have to see if it works for yourself.
No help. Tried reboot and still could not open the Enhanced Image Viewer. I normally keep IE open on the side to view these files when necessary, that is a lot of trouble, but it works. Would like to access these Images from Firefox. System is XP - SP3. Firefox 3.6.3 & IE - 8.0
Tried all suggestions, still will not work.
I just discovered that, if you're using Firefox as your browser, you can open documents from ancestry.com in Microsoft Publisher. Gotta love MSPub!