cannot change background color from black to white
my Firefox browser suddenly changed the backgound to black. i have tried every thing i could find online but cannot get it back to white. a
All Replies (1)
Firefox 96 applies a dark color scheme to the browser when the text color on your background tabs is light/white. It also signals sites that you have a dark theme preference.
What to do about this now
(1) If you don't mind changing your toolbar theme
The fastest workaround for now is to change your theme to one that uses dark text. By dark text I mean, for example, the built-in Light theme, or an add-on theme with black or dark text on the tabs. That doesn't need to be blinding, it can have a pastel color. As examples:
- Firefox Logo: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/firefox-b/
- Winter snow: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/blue-winter-snow/
- Green shoots: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/printania/
- Great wave: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/japan-style-kanagawa-gr-232767/
- Kitten: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/savage-black-kitten/
(2) If you can't part with your toolbar theme
This is a partial workaround for the built-in pages, and for websites that have light/dark responsive themes. Hopefully there will be a checkbox for this some day, but for now, you need to go through the back door:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.
More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. The moderators would like us to remind you that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.
(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the preference to display an editing field, and change the value to whatever you prefer from the list below, then press Enter or click the blue check mark button to save the change.
- 0 => Force a Dark background
- 1 => Force a Light background
- 2 => Follow the System theme (default in Firefox 94)
- 3 => Follow the Browser toolbar theme (default in Firefox 95+)
The about:config page should immediately reflect your saved change.
What about other aspects of the UI?
For the sidebar, menus, and toolbar drop-down panels, there is an unofficial, community-supported option, which is to override the built-in styles using your own style rules in a userChrome.css file. I think people are still pondering how to do that efficiently, and perhaps you aren't that into hacking your browser anyway.