Firefox crashing frequently even after trying most troubleshooting steps
I’ve been having frequent crashes lately. I’ve already tried pretty much every troubleshooting step that Firefox recommends, and I tried them all multiple times. I also tried a few troubleshooting steps related to OS and hardware. I definitely could try a few more OS/hardware specific troubleshooting steps but I’m hesitant to waste time doing that considering I don’t really have any confidence that the problem is due to OS/hardware issues.
I feel like the only hope for a solution is to discover some relevant information within my Firefox crash reports. I’m not sure how difficult it would be and what the likelihood is of finding a solution via analyzing the crash reports, but I’d greatly appreciate it if anybody could take a quick look.
Please note that the crashes almost always happen when clicking on a link or button, not just on its own. Also, the issue could be related to a separate bug that’s been here ever since I started using Firefox about a year ago. The other issue I’m referring to here is when Firefox attempts to open a pop-up (such as the one that appears when clicking the “hamburger” icon in the toolbar), the pop-up itself “crashes” several times before being able to open it.
Here is the full list of the troubleshooting steps I already tried:
- Firefox refresh
- Firefox troubleshoot mode
- cleared cache and cookies
- restarted my computer
- Firefox reinstall
- Created a new user profile
- Was already on the latest version of Firefox (this is actually when the issue started to happen, when I upgraded to the latest version, I never had any crashes before this update)
- I know this doesn't really prove anything but I tested Google Chrome once the Firefox crashing issue developed and Chrome has not crashed once since the Firefox crashing issue developed (even after extended use)
- Upgraded Mac OS (upgraded to latest version of Catalina, not Big Sur, because my Mac is not eligible for Big Sur)
- Apple diagnostics hardware test (no issues found)
- Malwarebytes scan (no issues found)
- Mac OS safe mode (crashes were not happening for the time I was in safe mode, but I was not able to stay in in safe mode long enough in order to determine if the issue was truly gone)
Crash ID: bp-3bdd1c25-2453-4549-aa3b-df7070210906
Thank you for any help in advance.
Modified by stephenp1394
All Replies (5)
I usually don't tinker with Mac issues, but this is another chance to use strace or the Mac equivalent. Can you verify if it's trace or dtruss?
You can try to disable Accessibility Services in Firefox if you do not need to use them.
Thank you for the reply but I’ve honestly never heard of dtruss or trace and it’s a little confusing at first glance after just looking it up, what exactly do you want me to do?
Okay thank you I just disabled it, going to try that.
thank you for the suggestion but disabling Accessibility Services did not work, does anybody have any other potential solutions? I'd greatly appreciate any other suggestions as I really need to continue using FF if possible. Thank you.