This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Slow Printing in Firefox!
Preview is opened as default when printing. I prefer to use the system printing. How can I discard Preview? The printing task now takes more than a minute to access the printer. It all started since Preview was introduced as default! Meanwhile Firefox i locked and I can't do anything in Firefox.
All Replies (10)
Hi Carl-Erik, I've seen a couple other Mac users report a similar issue; I don't know why it isn't working as well on Mac.
There is a temporary preference to switch back to the old print experience while the bugs are worked out in the new one:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste tab_mo and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the print.tab_modal.enabled preference to switch between the new experience (true) and the classic experience (false)
(4) If there is another preference named app.normandy.startupRolloutPrefs.print.tab_modal.enabled you can double-click that one to switch it to false as well. If you do not have that one, no need to create it.
Since you are setting to false, it will look roughly like this:
Thanks "jscher2000" for support how to switch back to old print experince. That solved the Preview default problem. But the printing is still slow in Firefox but not at all in Safari. There must be som bug here. I look forward to a solution soon!
You can file a bug report and the developers can suggest ways to diagnose the problem to see whether the problem can be identified and fixed:
I see there are more than me suffering from this bug! I am thinking of usng to Safari instead of Firefox. I don't thrust new releases of Firefox any more. Sorry
This issue still persists for me on Mac 10.12.6 (Sierra) even with Firefox version 93.0 We are talking about a few minutes to print.
- Other browsers and apps print normally
- Clearing saved print settings solved the problem once, which at first seemed very promising. However, that only worked for one print event, and has not worked again.
- Turning off preview by setting print.tab_modal.enabled -> false only solves the extensive preview delay. Printing still takes a couple of minutes even with system dialog.
Mozilla Firefox is an important app for me. Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks Eric149 for lifting this problem which I have realised for more than 6 months, without any action from Mozilla. Furthermore has it been more difficult to report problems since I must be a member of some staffteam to give feedback. That is probably why nothing has been done in this matter for at least 6 months.
I have been unable to solve this issue with suggestions posted fro the past year. Identical slow printing occurs on the two Macs we have. After using Firefox exclusively for almost 10-years, we are seriously considering a switch.
Per bugzilla, the slow printing problem exists with osX Sierra 10.12 and possible other versions prior to 10.14.
The bug has bee reports numerous times but on one is working on a fix as of 10/16/21.
Probably no choice but to switch to another browser.
Ok! Thanks egutwillig! I realise the only solution is to leave Firefox and switch to Safari or some other browser instead. It is bad for Mozilla when they can't maintain the old positive users. Carl-Erik
I also have this problem. My solution had been to use ESR since that was version 78.x, but now it is 91.x so it has the broken printing process. I am just sticking with 78.15 (esr) for now.
I have a bugzilla report here, but it looks like no one at Mozilla cares. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1704562
Eventually I will just switch to Safari or Brave since they know how to design a browser where you can print. It makes me sad though since I have been using Firefox forever and I want to support Mozilla. If it can't do basic functionality what good is it?