This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
How to delete Bing Search Engine from my Laptop
- At every time when I open my Laptop with Firefox for searching anything at first Bing is on,
Please show me the way how to kill that Bing Search Engine
All Replies (3)
Hi J.P., where has Bing jumped in? Here are some common trouble spots:
(1) Inside Firefox, home page changed from your preferred home page to a Bing or MSN home page
Please check the steps in this article: How to set the home page. If the Options page says an extension is controlling your home page, check the steps to review your add-ons at the end of this post.
(2) Inside Firefox, new tab page changed from the built-in page to a Bing or MSN home page
This usually requires an add-on. I'll give the steps to review your add-ons at the end of this post.
(3) Inside Firefox, searching from the address bar or from a search box goes to Bing instead of Google, DuckDuckGo, or whatever you prefer
Please check the steps in this article: Change your default search settings in Firefox. If Firefox keeps flipping back immediately or shortly after the change, be suspicious of your extensions.
You can view, disable, and often remove unwanted or unknown extensions on the Add-ons page. Either:
- Ctrl+Shift+a (Mac: Command+Shift+a)
- "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
- type or paste about:addons in the address bar and press Enter/Return
In the left column of the Add-ons page, click Extensions. On the right side, find the "Manage Your Extensions" heading.
If there is at least one extension before the next heading -- "Recommended Extensions" -- please continue:
Then cast a critical eye over the list below that heading. Any extensions Firefox installs for built-in features are hidden from this page, so everything listed here is your choice (and your responsibility) to manage. Anything related to Bing, or searching? Anything suspicious or that you just do not remember installing or why? If in doubt, disable (or remove). For your privacy and security, don't let mystery programs linger here.
Any improvement so far?
I still cannot remove Bing as I do not have an options and I am unable to open add ons
Hi basilakhi, since the earlier post in February, "Options" changed to "Settings".
If you cannot open the Add-ons page, switch to Firefox's Safe/Troubleshoot Mode first. In that mode, Firefox temporarily deactivates extensions so they can't interfere with your use of Firefox.
If Firefox is running:
You can restart Firefox in Safe/Troubleshoot Mode using either:
- "3-bar" menu button > Help > Troubleshoot Mode... (before Fx88: Restart with Add-ons Disabled)
- (menu bar) Help menu > Troubleshoot Mode... (before Fx88: Restart with Add-ons Disabled)
and OK the restart. A small dialog should appear. Click the Open button (before Fx88: "Start in Safe Mode" button).
If Firefox is not running:
Hold down the Shift key when starting Firefox. (On Mac, hold down the option/alt key instead of the Shift key.) A small dialog should appear. Click the Open button (before Fx88: "Start in Safe Mode" button).
Note: Don't use the Refresh without first reviewing this article to understand what will be deleted: Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings.