This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Cannot delete history from side bar. Tried all the different solutions, will not clear in preferences, through library or through private browsing.. Just happened, right after auto update of firefox. I just reinstalled but nothing changed.
All Replies (6)
Please clear cache and cookies. Steps for the same:
- Click the menu button New Fx Menu , choose History, and then "Clear Recent History...".
- Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
- Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
- From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
- Now click the "Clear Now" button.
- Further information can be found in the Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox article.
Reference thread: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1154501#answer-954524
Sorry, this does nothing, I've tried many times. Also there is no 'Clear' button only 'cancel' and 'ok' buttons.
There is also no "details" to toggle, see attached
Usually, with a right click you can delete from the side bar, strange! Try locating your Firefox folder and manually deleting it maybe? this link should help you locate the history file: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-d...
My 'history' folder is huge. Would it be better to clean uninstall firefox and reinstall? Reinstall seems the only solution left before changing browsers.
If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily during troubleshooting.
You can check for problems with the places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder.
- use "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page
If errors are reported with "Verify Integrity", close and restart Firefox and retry.
If "Verify Integrity" cannot repair places.sqlite, rename/remove all places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder. Firefox will rebuild places.sqlite and restore the bookmarks from a recent JSON backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
- keep a backup copy of places.sqlite in case a new places.sqlite database has to be created
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder