Why, and how to recover: Firefox update may have deleted booksmarks, extensions, etc?
Today I installed the newest version of the Firefox browser. (My previous version was probably the next-to-last version.)
In the past, extensions, add-ons, bookmarks, favourites and so on carried over automatically. This time everything disapperead.
Why is this? How to recover? Some lost booksmarks are very important, furthermore I would rather not go through the gruesome process of personalising Firefox again.
(I have not used any version of Firefox's "account". All information was probably stored in default folders/profiles on my PC. This has been the case for years; no previous update had this issue for me).
(PS. Other similar threads proved to be of little help, e.g. there is no "Old Firefox Data" folder on my desktop).
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.0.0; SAMSUNG SM-G935F Build/R16NW) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) SamsungBrowser/9.2 Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36
Enter about:profiles in the URL bar. How many profiles you got? Check if the other profile is having your bookmarks.
Ah... Sorry to waste your time. I had already checked the about:profiles page before posting. But I should have been more attentive. There were two profiles, named Profile: default and Profile: default-release. I just assumed they were both not the one I needed. This assumption was wrong; switching to Profile: default fixed the problem.
Thank you for your help.
Now for the other half of the question. Is it possible to figure out /why/ the profile change occured? That is, what was different about this latest update as opposed to others before it?
Is it possible to figure out /why/ the profile change occured? That is, what was different about this latest update as opposed to others before it?
Well... in the release notes they say: Firefox will now protect you against running older versions of the browser which can lead to data corruption and stability issues. It means that there will be separate profile for every firefox instance in the system. But why it sometimes creates a new profile for the same instance, we don't know yet.
Thank you again. Hopefully, two final questions.
(1) Where should I look if I wanted to be updated on the status of this particular issue? In other words, assume that some time in the future the cause of this problem becomes known. Essentially, can I somehow guarantee that this information reaches me as well?
(2) Do you recommend using the new Firefox account to sync things? Either instead of or in addition to local profiles?
1. Eventualy it should be mentioned in a subtree of this bug. If not, you can create a new bug regressing this bug and wait for a resolution.
2. Yes, sync is useful; especially on several devices.