addons not working
I have FF 66.05 64 bit. addons aren't working. Their icons still haven't returned to the toolbar despite assurances that on the latest update the addons bug would be resolved. The addons are listed as active, but are not.
Thank you for that suggestion. Another update became available, so I installed it and re-enabled all the extensions. So far it looks as though all is again as it should be.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
Does this help?
Type about:customizing<enter> in the address bar.
Note: about:customizing is no longer present in Firefox 47+ releases.
- Press Alt or F10 to bring up the toolbar.
Then View > Toolbars > Customize.
- Right-click on a blank spot in the toolbar and
In the new window, look for the icon. When you find it, hold down the left button on it, and move it to where you want it to be. You can move any of the icons you want from here, but; some icons are locked in place.
There is also a Restore Defaults button at the bottom middle.
Thanks Fred, but no. None of the addons are listed in the 'customise' window.
It’s possible that there is a problem with the file(s) that store the extensions registry.
Type about:support in the address bar and press enter.
Under the page logo on the left side, you will see Application Basics. Under this find Profile Folder. To its right press the button Show Folder. This will open your file browser to the current Firefox profile. Now Close Firefox.
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
Linux: Under the page logo on the left side, you will see Application Basics. Under this find Profile Directory. To its right press the button Open Directory.
Delete all extensions* files and compatibility.ini in the Firefox profile folder to reset the extensions registry.
New files will be created when required.
After, restart Firefox.
See "Corrupt extension files":
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ You will have to approve the updating one last time.
Thank you for that suggestion. Another update became available, so I installed it and re-enabled all the extensions. So far it looks as though all is again as it should be.
Modified by musr
That was very good work. Well done. Please flag your last post as Solved Problem so others will know.